Oxford Circus

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Week 5 Barcelona continued...

I got back from Germany last night, so I'll start again with Barcelona!

I've been taking pictures of organs in the churches that I visit.  This one is from Cathedral of Santa Eulalia.  It was completed in about 1450.  There was a crazy Christmas market outside this church.  I actually like crowds, but this crowd was way too densely packed for my liking!  I didn't even take a photo, I was too preoccupied with getting out!

I like this translation error on the back of a bus.  Aren't there a few English speakers around to proof-read their major add campaigns?!!

I am also chronicling the bike-friendliness in some European cities.  This is just one part of the bike parking-lot at a subway station.  Barcelona also has TONS of those bikes for rent all over the city - and lots of people of all ages use them. 

Now for the Gaudi section of this blog!

Parc Guell

Band playing in the park, (Mananers) I bought their CD called High Every Day.  They were fun!

More Parc Guell

Casa Batllo.  This was around the corner from where I was staying.

 Casa Batllo

Casa Batllo

Casa Batllo at night - amazingly beautiful!

Sagrada Familia!  Gaudi's major life's work, still under construction (notice the cranes!)  This is the most incredible building I've ever seen.  I cannot say AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, INCREDIBLE strong enough or often enough, so I have included a bunch of pictures from here.  You just have to imagine me saying AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, INCREDIBLE in my most animated way!

Sagrada Familia front entrance.

Notice this guy on the picture above at the bottom right.



 Inside Sagrada Familia - WOOOOOOOOOOW!

The ceiling of Sagrada familia.  The pillars are like tree branches.

The sanctuary.  Is Jesus hanging from an illuminated yellow parasol?

Close-up of the organs.

More incredible branch pillars.

Little people along the ceiling of the church.

 The back of Sagrada Familia

 Close-up of the back.

Closer-up of the back!

I am standing in one of the high towers.  Looking down you can see that there will be a huge spire coming up from the middle of the church - still under construction.

I took many many more pictures in Barcelona, but I've got to stop somewhere!  Barcelona is a super beautiful city, and I bet it's really fun to live there.  I miss El Corte Ingles, siesta, the super cheap, but good wine and talking Spanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment