Oxford Circus

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Week 2

Monday morning (November 8th), bright and early, I set out with Edwin on a road trip.  He was doing business on the way up to Glasgow, making many stops along the way.  During the first stop, Edwin dropped me off at the Gladstone Pottery museum in Stoke-on-trent, where I learned all about the invention of the toilette!  There were also other interesting things in that museum.  We also visited Uncle Sydney (for those of you who know who he is).
Then it was off to Manchester where we stayed overnight with friends of Edwin's.  We had another early start on Tuesday and arrived in Glasgow in the early evening.  I stayed in the spare suite at Mrs Lucas's apartment (Edwin's amazing 90 year old mother).  Mrs. Lucas plays Bridge 5-6 times a week, has decorated all the hallways of the apartment building and takes care of all of the plants, takes her 85 year old friend grocery shopping every other week in her car, visits and looks out for her elderly friends daily, and volunteers at a local hospital once a week.  She gives my late Auntie Annie a run for her money in terms of how much energy she has (Auntie Annie also lived in Glasgow and worked in a clothing store until she was 95 years old and died just shy of 102!).  I visited with some other "wrinklies"; Mrs. Brass who will be 101 in January and Mrs. Black who is 98.  They live in the senior's home across the street from Mrs. Lucas's flat.  

On Thursday Karen B. took me on a driving tour of Glasgow and we stopped in to see the Burrell Collection.  We had a nice day together, then she dropped me off at the train station, and I headed to Dundee.

I'm not sure how to save and continue, so I'm going to post this section now and add to it tomorrow.  I told Gillian I'd help her with her homework and I have to read a chapter of To Kill a Mockingbird first!



No comments:

Post a Comment